Friday, September 4, 2009

Sure B'y




Here is the next completed icon, the Lighthouse. I am okay with how it turned out and am learning as I go. I am self taught and if it wasn't for the rug hookers I blog with, I wouldn't have learned as much as I have.

I had to laugh the other day when I used the word, duckish but also put in an explanation of the word. I loved Corinne's comments. It reminds me that NL have a unique way of speaking and using odd words. I am a "come from away" Quebec/Ontario but have been coming to NL for 26 years. I have gotten used to some of the terms but for the first little while, I had trouble.

Everyone in NL seems to use the word b'y (boy) for everyone, male and female. Everything that you use like a tool is a 'machine' and when you say the month, you say September month, not the other way around.

Here are a couple of words. Do you know what they mean?

killick
pinchgut
tickle
scoff and a scuff
figgy duff
toutans
hangashore

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm......the only one I recognize if "tickle", but I have a feeling that you are not speaking of the standard definition. And, let's see, "pinchgut" could be the feeling I get when my waistband is a bit too tight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea of any of those words, but loved "fetch me up" when I was on Campobello Island

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what any of those words mean but I love the sound of "figgy duff." What does it mean? I want to use it in a sentence!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a clue what they are, you could give us a word of the week and we could all guess LOL

    I have had a few NF friends in the past and did learn a few words, this couple were from different parts of NewFoundLand and too completely different dialects.

    I had one visit to NF and it was beautiful we drove across the province and enjoyed the variety of landscapes.

    ReplyDelete