Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Peak Time of Summer




As I was sitting on the deck this morning with my coffee, I looked out at the garden. Lilies about to burst forth, containers full with annuals for a splash of colour and realized that within a few days, peak summer glory will be reached.

The garden and all gardens for that matter will look their best at their peak and then, it is downhill from there. I have learned alot from gardening. To look forward to its glory, to accept its decline, to plan changes as needed and to dream of its future.

It makes me think of Vita Sackville-West who was primarily a poet and writer but came to love gardening. She believed in three simple prinicipals. The first was ruthlessness. If some thing was displeasing, then change it. Second was not to be too tidy in a garden, let self-seeded plants grow where they naturally fall, wild flowers mixing with cultivated plants in a garden was not a disaster. Thirdly, have an architectural plan, a colour plan and a seasonal plan.

Of all things, peace and tranquility.

2 comments:

  1. I love your style of gardening, Julie. Awww, yes, the peace and tranquility.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie,

    I've been remiss in not visiting for a while, but am now all caught up. I also saw your comment on Jenn's blog and you are right - Morris would look really good in your garden. He is such a fixture at the cottage, and when we moved him to his new location overlooking that big piece of Georgian Shield, he had the boaters doing double takes again, like he did when we first brought him there.

    Don't know if you were following the blog when I posted about him, but we brought him up north in a pick-up truck - cross tied in the back wearing a scarf and ski-goggles. Needless to say, he was the hit of the 401 - much horn honking and waving.

    He's basically two cedar logs for head and body and then smaller cedar logs for legs. I'm sure someone could fashion you your own Morris.

    xo
    Wendie

    P.S. I agree with all your gardening comments. You are definitely a thoughtful gardener.

    ReplyDelete