Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Internet dreaming

I have always thought that the internet is a marvellous resource tool. I was first introduced to it in 1995 and was using it mainly for work. At that time, there were only a handful of people that I know even had the internet available, at home or at work.

Now, look at how the world has changed. I don't think a single day goes by, that I don't access it. From internet radio, to contact with friends and family in the mainland, to finding like minded people in the remote province of Newfoundland.

Although I was born in Quebec and then, spent many years in Ontario, I have had a connection with Newfoundland for over 25 years. Nine years ago, my partner (who is from Corner Brook) and I decided that our cottage, would be our residence and we left the rat race. Sometimes, living in the province has been a love/hate relationship. Sometimes, the lack of resources, limited cultural activities and poor grammar has grated on my nerves but overall, I think that we are here to stay.

Back to the internet. That has been a redeeming factor. The internet allows me to access so much information and recently, discovering a new fiber craft and other crafty people with similar interests. Unbelievable when you think about it.

I am almost finished my first rug hooking pattern. I bought it from Molly in Rocky Harbour and it was worth every penny. Even down to a frame, hook, pattern and wool. I have encountered a small problem. I have run out of the last colour for the outside frame. I just sent Molly an email to let her know. In the kit, there was lots and lots of every colour but the dark burgundy. I am not sure what happened but I think it must be hard to calculate how much yarn is needed.

Anyway, I bought another kit on eBay and this one is with wool strips and has yet to arrive. I want to find out if I like yarn or wool strips better!

No comments:

Post a Comment