Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ghost Work?






New Word: ghost work?

Definition: the tasks and duties of laid-off or fired employees that must then be done by the remaining employees

Example: The ghost work has been taken on by surviving employees, without their former colleagues' expertise.


Kim's blog post today made me think of my own word of the week and also, a new word for 2011, ghost work.

In an office haunted by the ghosts of laid-off employees, those workers who dodged the hatchet aren't necessarily the lucky ones. They must excel at their old jobs to avoid still looming staff cuts and must also juggle extra, unfamiliar duties.

I think I am going to make a sign for the bumper of my truck, "I'd rather hooking" and see what reactions I get!

3 comments:

  1. I'm facing ghost work in the coming school year. We are laying off several teachers putting our class sizes to 28 to 30 for grade 5. That is a lot of kids.

    I'd rather be hooking too!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And all too true. Its everywhere I'm afraid. It seems lately there are not enough hours in the day.
    Maybe we should call Ghostbusters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie,
    It's a sad state of affairs for so many workers....... I had never heard that term used before but it sure is fitting! I hope you are looking forward to a restful weekend with some hooking to calm the nerves!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete