Friday, November 5, 2010

Somewhere Else!





I am currently reading Deanne's new book, Inspired! Sometimes, I can actually hear Deanne speaking the words on the pages. I thought I was the only person who found beauty in the Tantramar Marsh.

The Tantramar Marshes is a National Wildlife Area on the southern part of the Isthmus of Chignecto, which joins Nova Scotia to New Brunswick and the Canadian mainland. It is the site of the historic Battle of Beausejour, the final chapter in the long battle for Acadia by the British and French. Immediately after the battle, Beaubassin was the site where the British chose to begin the Expulsion of the Acadians from the Maritimes in 1755.

I have driven past the marshes more times than I can count, on my way to Quebec and Ontario. I often want to stop and savour the openess of the space, feel the history on the winds and see the beauty in something where others do not. To stop, and see beauty in the details and not at 100 kms an hour through the car windows, on my way to somewhere else.

2 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I love how you find beauty in our Marshes. I get so tired of hearing "big city" folk talk about what an ugly barren area between NS and NB. It truly is a beautiful eco system.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from NS and I did live in Amherst for 3 years, so I know the marsh well. There used to be many businesses along that route and when I went home after a 15 year absence I as disappointed to see that there is noting but a lot of empty buildings.
    I am glad to see that the marsh is still the same and continues to thrive even if the economy doesn't.

    ReplyDelete